Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Flooding in Atlanta

I've been trying to ride my bike to work most days. But I haven't rode once in 2 weeks. It has rained every single day...

I thought maybe this is how Atlanta is this time of year. But on my way to work yesterday, one of the major highways to work was covered in water. I made detour and got to work. I got an email at 3:30pm or so that we were all excused to go home that day and take the next day off. I turned to the news and learned several people had already died that day from flash floods, nearly all of them having their cars swept off the roads.

I decided to take their advice and headed home.
I tried to take my main route home: blocked by a tree that had fallen over and blocked the entire road.

My first detour: the whole road blocked by flooding. I went completely by guessing the general direction and eventually made it home.

My sidewalk in front of our apartment had at least 2 inches and with the forecast of more and more rain, I was getting to be pretty worried.

I also saw a home just a couple blocks from our apartment covered in rain, about the same as this pic:
blogs.creativeloafing.com
There were at least 3 interstates that were completely covered and blocked. And many schools are closed for a while due to damages.
This community isn't far from where we live:
Some excellent pictures at: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/09/22/southeast.flooding/index.html?eref=rss_topstories#cnnSTCPhoto


We did, unfortunately, have someone in my CDC group whose home was hit pretty badly. I, for one, am a little more grateful for my apartment and safety.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Whoa Jeff, that is scary. I saw it on the news but didn't realize it was right where you live.

Lindsey said...

Crazy stuff. At least you get to spend some extra time with that cute wife of yours.