Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Problems since arriving to Atlanta w/ pics

I promise I'll have the uplifting blogs that say we're doing great after I finish describing the amazing amount of problems we seemed to have.


Problems since arriving to Atlanta:

1. Taking my medical boards (Step 2)
2. My cell phone battery died
3. Finding a used car
4. Setting up Internet
5. Getting to work while not having a car


1. My plan was to study for my boards during my ICU month. But as I mentioned, it didn't quite work out as planned. I didn't even really have time to study for my ICU tets, let alone my medical boards. Then my plan was to study a lot once we arrived in Atlanta. However, since we didn't have a car we had to buy several things while we still had the moving truck.

Plan:

Arrive on Saturday, move in Sat and Sunday
Mon-Wed: Study
Wed: go to Baltimore to visit my brother and study there
week following that on a Thu: take my medical boards


Reality:
Arrive on Saturday,
Sat-Wed: desperately try to move in before our flight on Wed
NO STUDYING!!!

Once we arrived at our apartment, I was surprised to find out that we had no microwave.


This shows where the microwave should go but since we are paying so little rent I guess I can't really complain. We had the rental truck until Tue (that was the minimum rental time for an Chicago to Atlanta move) so we looked up the list of things we had to buy on Craig's list and bought them. Well some things were the same price new.

-Food storage (best deal ended up being at Target)
-Futon
-Coffee Table (IKEA)
-TV stand (IKEA)
-Chairs for the little patio we have
-Microwave
-Microwave stand

By the time I finished this, it was time to leave for Baltimore. No studying.



Once I arrived to Baltimore, I went as planned. Study from 9-5, play with Chris and Emily and Keiko during the evening and on weekends. However, without any prior studying, my total study time ended up being a total of 5 8-hour days. This wasn't quite what I planned.

But, when I did take my test, it went way better than Step 1, the first part of the medical boards I took 3 days prior to my wedding, so I suppose it all worked out.



Images of our purchases (from Keiko's Japanese blog):
$10 at IKEA :)

Microwave with stand (Craig's list). After we bought the microwave for $30, a person offered this stand with a microwave for $15.... sigh, we just took the stand.



Our $100 futon from Craig's list. Keiko really wanted a wooden frame, and this one turns into tables.








This is our TV stand and coffee table. Notice anything similar? They don't really make any TV stands these days for non flat-screens. So we found this coffee table for $20 at IKEA and just bought 2. It took quite a bit of work to put together until 1 of the maintenance guys stopped buy to fix our door and let me borrow his electric screwdriver. :)


Keiko enjoyed her meatballs at IKEA :)

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Your move sounded crazy! You are such a hard worker and will be blessed for doing all of this plus taking care of a sick pregnant wife. :) Keiko is sure lucky to have you!