Thursday, April 7, 2011

Weekend trip to the island of the sun

Over the weekend, I joined a couple of other students on a trip to a place called Copacabana. There are a few in the world now, but the first was in Bolivia. It is a popular tourist location with lots of restaurants, shopping, and it is on the water and a beautiful location. I am afraid the camera I brought wont turn on so I am using my phone for my pictures. I cant find an easy way to upload them to picasa, so I am just using facebook for now. I uploaded a bunch of the photos on facebook, so for those with access, feel free to take a look. We spent most of the time travelling as it was a little far for a 2 day trip, but the travelling was full of natural beauty. I am in a place at a very high elevation. There are lots of lakes, fields, and snow covered mountains. We took a bus and a boat to get to Isla del Sol, or Island of the Sun. According to Incan tradition, this is where the sun was born. We were able to see an ancient Temple of the Sun, which was built about 1250 AD. The oldest ruins were built in about 2200 BC. I will post more pictures once I get them from my friends. There are many islands in the area. It is in the famous Lake Titicaca, which gets its name because it looks like a puma hunting a rabbit. It is the highest commercially navigable lake in the world. The islands are all very and to use them for farming, they built terraces into the sides, like giant steps. It was said to have taken hundreds of years. Unfortunately, it still didnt work very well and most of them are not used today.

No comments: