Sunday, April 10, 2011

Night out on the town

I decided to join some other students who went out to a restaurant that has live music and dancing, traditional style. It was very entertaining. The first half was traditional Bolivian dancing. It is somewhat similar to Spanish and Mexican dancing but has its differences. I heard it can be called Andean dancing, as a lot of the culture comes from areas surrounding the Andes Mountains. Very fanciful costumes were probably the most unique part. Other students took pictures which I will try to get soon. At times, they invited us up to join the dancing, which I was able to take part of. The second half was a live band. It was 4 guitars of diffent sizes and drums. They were all very good and did great harmonies. Much of the crowd was from Latin America and knew a lot of the songs that were played. Our table of North Americans and Asians was a little more quiet as we couldnt sing along and did not understand all of the jokes, as everything was in Spanish as you would expect. They would ask where everyone is from and play some songs from your country. They played Only You (the old romantic song) and some Elvis for the US. I really enjoy being home in the early morning and evenings because that is when my host parents have time to chat. I am trying to balance getting out and seeing the city and enjoying some Spanish with my host family.

No comments: