Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pediatrics might just be for me

I am now 2 full weeks into my pediatrics rotation. I have completed psychiatry, neurology, family medicine, and internal medicine. I came into my 3rd year thinking internal medicine vs pediatrics as my future career.

I spent 12 weeks in internal medicine thinking "ehhhhh, I was hoping for a little more." I'm not sure what it was about it, but I didn't just love every minute of it. I know a big part of that is the fact that I am being evaluated every second of every day for my grade. Grading in med school is really frustrating. It depends a lot on how your resident or attending physician is feeling at the time as it is 100% subjective. I was told at one point I was too shy and at another point that I asked too many questions and talked too much. I probably wasn't acting much different at either time. There are some objective tests, but they are worth only a fraction of the grade.

Another part of internal medicine that puts me off a bit is this competitive edge it has. I mean that people are always trying to show that they know more medicine than each other. Everyone is nice, is trying to learn all the time, and there is no malice in it, but it gets tiring pretty quick.

Things I like about pediatrics:
-It's never the kids fault. They aren't the ones choosing to eat themselves to obesity and get heart attacks and diabetes. if they are obese, it is more the parent's fault.
-So many cute kids. I find myself liking kids more all the time.
-The residents and the whole atmosphere is just more relaxed. People joke more and don't seem nearly as judgmental.
-It might be because my expectations fell after my internal medicine rotation, but this is the first time I find myself feeling like this is a fit. People say you just know when you find the right specialty.

It's also the first time I have overnight call. Every 3rd or 4th night I stay the night at the hospital. I have had 1-2 hours sleep, and I've had more like 6. It depends on how busy the hospital is. I've had to change my pager to a more obnoxious tone because I've slept through pages already.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Mr. Keenan is right!It's a dating time and sounds like you found the right match ; )
Ask your sister Kara for obnoxious alarm!! You can never sleep through with that one! My husband is loving your blog update.