Sunday, March 20, 2011

My destination for residency

Keiko and I will be going to San Diego for the next 3 years. We are very excited. We are also sad that we will be away from any family. The residency and hospital seem as good as any in the country and I think Keiko will be very happy in San Diego. There are many Japanese people, it has wonderful weather, and I there is also a decent LDS population. I hope there will be some Japanese LDS members in the area.

We start around June 20th. I was pleasantly surprised to find about half of the 18 interns (first year residents) who will be joining me are male. Pediatrics is a very female-dominant field these days, but I have found that I get along very well with other males who choose a relatively low-paying specialty.

Rent appears to be pretty high and I think expenses will be one thing we will have to struggle with a bit. The rent in San Diego appears to be pretty high and a resident's salary is not much. I imagine we will have to live a little distance away and buy an extra car for commuting to be able to afford the rent for a family our size.

I'll post more as I learn more.

I'm off to the US in 2 days and will be in Bolivia in a week.

No comments: