Thursday, March 31, 2011

Farewell Japan

I had a great time taking it easy in Hiroshima for 3 weeks. I was able to spend more time with Taisei than I ever have, eat lots of good Japanese food, and try and prepare for Bolivia by studying Spanish. We met up with some of Keiko´s friends, went out to all of our favorite restaurants, did a bit of shopping. I love shopping in Japan. In America, I always struggle to fins something that is only slightly too big. In Japan, my size is always available and affordable. I started to learn the Japanese game of shogi. It resembles chess is someways, but has some major differences that made it fairly difficult to learn the strategies. Keiko´s dad is quite a big fac so I thought it would be a great way to spend some time together. He of course killed at it every time but I had a great time learning. I actually won once, but only after getting some hints and being able to take back some moves. I am a little hooked on it now, and have downloaded it onto my phone so I can play against a computer (who also usually beats me). Taisei really looks like he will walk soon, but it didn´t happen by the time I left. I am hoping he can put off his first step and first words until we meet up again in May. Hiroshima remains completely safe from radiation. However, just to be on the safe side, Keiko and Taisei may come back to the US early.

1 comment:

takodori said...

I'd like to inform you that many English speaking people have learned and are learning a lot about shogi through HIDETCHI's shogi channel on YouTube. It's at here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HIDETCHI