Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stresses of Fatherhood part 2

We FINALLY get released from the hospital with the instructions to follow up with our pediatrician the following day since the bilirubin (cause of jaundice) was a little high for Taisei. At the pediatricians, we are told we have to go to the ER because the bilirubin has continued to rise and is nearing a dangerous level.

What I thought would be an ER visit turned into getting admitted overnight. Then I hit the lowest point of my experience with the health care system. After being admitted so that Taisei could receive UV lamp treatment, the nurse said we should use formula during the stay and that if we really wanted to nurse she would allow 15 min every 2hours maximum. Really?! We are already having trouble starting and they want to limit breastfeeding to 15 min/2 hours. They did not even mention the clear alternative of breast feeding while using the lamp. And then we couldn't comfort Taisei as he cried himself horse while on the lamp. Talk about a miserable experience.

We were released the next day and brought a lamp home with us. The bilirubin continued to drop. Breastfeeding eventually started to work out as normal. I can finally say we have reached some level of normalcy.

I just hope I can hear a cough without thinking of pneumonia, asthma, sepsis, congenital defect, inhaled object, etc. etc.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I'm glad things are going well now. Stresses do not end there. You are such a good daddy though. :) I hope there are quite a few enjoyments as well. :)