Sunday, November 22, 2009

CDC Trip 2: An atoll nation

Have you ever heard of an atoll? This is the wikipedia animation of how they form. Per wikipedia, an atoll "is an island of coral that encircles a lagoon partially or completely." I give some pretty good pictures in my scuba blog.
Here is a great example of what an atoll looks like from my favorite source:



So on any point of the island, you can pretty much see water on both sides. Nothing but beach front property. It is so beautiful, just the paradise that you see on all the movies. And I was able to stay there for 3 weeks. I felt so lucky the whole time (at least when I wasn't missing my wife).
The next few pics are from the airplane.

Here is the first island we went to. You can actually see buildings if you look close. This is as developed as it gets.
Other pictures are of various islands we passed over on the airplane. You can see the basic structure of the islands though.


The ring that forms is split up so that you have some parts of it covered in water, leaving these secluded islands just like in the B.C. comic strip or"Cast Away."





You can see how long these islands can be.

There will be more pics like this, but just a little close up. The plants are very thick.
This island is rented out for tourists and locals.


This is an example of housing.


They have unique trees there. And palm trees are naturally everywhere.
I believe this is called breadfruit. One of the more unique native fruits.

Basketball on the beach,.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow I had no idea what an Atoll was. That is awesome! You are so lucky and I wish Keiko was with you so you didn't have to be sad about anything! :)

Grandma and Grandpa Roush said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.