Monday, November 30, 2009

CDC Trip 5: The 2nd Atoll

The 2nd week, we went to another atoll. This one had an island with a lot of American influence, so it was much more developed. It seemed like it would be quite pleasant to live here.

Here is the residential part of the island.

This is the public beach.

This was after a little snorkeling at the beach.

We had a BBQ at the beach with one of the local doctors.

We had fish, vegetables, and veggies on the BBQ. It was delicious!

99% of people use bikes to get around, although it's small enough to walk everywhere.

I had the opportunity to go sport fishing while I was there. I got a greeting before we left from the competition for the fish.

There were a lot more of them at "shark's cove."

Out on the sea.

This was an old sunken ship (the grey part you see).

According to local tradition, you have to eat the raw heart of the first fish you catch, or you will have bad luck fishing for the remainder of your days. That was a challenge I couldn't resist (and only me on my team). They got a kick out of it so took a bunch of pics of me in action. I also learned how to gut a fish and basically prepare it for cooking.

I got the heart in my hand.

Hmmm, not too bad.

Not bad at all.

This is the ferry we used to commute to the less developed island every day.

And here is the neighboring island where we did our work. It was very different from the island I was staying on.

It's a beautiful island with clear clear water.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Jeff, that is so gross.