Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The move to Atlanta

It was quite an adventure. About 2 weeks before the big move, I got a notice from my landlord:

"Move-out date: July 31st, 10am"

...
...

I thought since I started on the 1st of the month, I would end on the 1st of the month. So I figured it wouldn't be a big deal as long as I asked for a 1 day extension. No big deal right??
"Oh, I'm sorry, we already have someone who signed a contract to move in to your place the night of the 31st."

So here is my schedule for the 31st:

31st
0730 Arrive at hospital to take my ICU final exam
1000 Move all of my stuff into a truck
1600 Keiko's prenatal appt

Aug 1st
1500 Arrive in Atlanta

There are a few problems with this.

1. Getting help to move in Chicago. In the LDS church, you are often able to get help from other church members when moving. But who can help move on Fri morning? I'll tell you who. Nobody. As of 8pm on the night of the 30th, I have a total of 2 maybes and no confirmed people who will help me move.
I send out a desperate email and by the next morning I get 6 people that come and help. THANKS SO MUCH to all those who came. It was lifesaving.

2. Getting help to move in Atlanta. Unless I get there on Saturday, the people at the church in Atlanta can't really help me. Sunday is a day of rest and Monday night is reserves for spending time with families. So Saturday is my only choice.

3. I have a pregnant wife who is constantly dry-heaving. It takes approximately 11 hours of straight driving from Chicago to Atlanta. But I know we are going to have to take extra brakes with a pregnant wife. So that leaves me with needing to leave ASAP, or right after the prenatal appt.

4. I have to have the entire move ready by Fri morning, the morning of my final. This meant I spent all my time moving and very little time studying. Keiko was too sick to help too much with the move.

But, by Saturday night, I had an apartment full of boxes and was ready to go. There were 6 LDS members who came to my place in Atlanta and helped me move. We were able to set up our bed by nighttime and get a great night's rest. I think I also took a 2 hour bath upon arrival.

Man was I glad to have that over. However, the fun of moving had only just begun...

1 comment:

Peggy Cook said...

Dear jeff,
I would love to have you guys address while you are in Atlanta.

Thanks,
Love you guys,
Peggy