Monday, March 2, 2009

OB-GYN: Starting in the operating room

I have officially finished my 2 weeks of gynecology surgery. It was my first experience in an operating room (OR). I was scared at first. I knew I was going to screw up. It is interesting that there is a very set method on how to clean yourself and prepare before you start surgery. Some people still start out with the old soap and brush, but these days do the following to become sterile, or so clean that you shouldn't infect the patient getting surgery.
1. Clean underneath your fingernails with a plastic device.
2. Use a special gel to clean your arms and hands.
3. Have an assistant put on a surgery gown, fresh from it's package. Put on the right glove, then the left, then a 2nd right and 2nd left.
4. Can't explain it well, but to tie the gown you do a 360 with one person holding on to a strap of your gown.
FINISH

You can't have your hands below your belly-button or so, and can't have them above your shoulders. You can't have your hands touch your back or anyone else's back.

I forgot at least 3-4 times. Usually it would be just after I did something and would relax and my hands would fall to my sides (below my belly button) and I would get a friendly or not-so-friendly reminder to keep my hands up. I guess I'll catch on eventually...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Welcome to the world of surgery!