Sunday, February 1, 2009

CDC

In the pediatrics rotation, we have the possibility of being on the general service, pulmonary/allergy, or infectious disease services. I was pretty lucky as I am thinking of possibly doing pediatric infectious disease and was able to do 3 weeks of infectious disease. Once a week they have a conference with all the attending physicians.
Another bit of background: I never turn the sound on my cell phone. It is permanently on vibrate because, as the title of this blog reveals, I tend to forget things. However, I was on overnight call and had to turn on the sound for my alarm clock on my cell phone.
And yes my cell phone went off during the middle of the meeting with all the attendings. I was shocked and embarrassed so much I never even checked the message. Later that night, I checked my email to find one from the CDC. The phone call was also from the CDC. They congratulated me on making it as a finalist.

The CDC experience, as it is called, is a fellowship for medical students to experience public health at the CDC. It consists of a few parts (this is just a few)
-Being part of a research team the conducts epidemiological research and surveys disease. This is often how the CDC comes out with statements that guide physicians around the country and world on subjects like vaccines, obesity prevention, and other prevention strategies of various diseases.
-They also are the group that investigates outbreaks of diseases when state and city public health departments want help. The recent peanut butter salmonella outbreak is an example. I heard an extreme example of them flying in a helicopter to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to look at a rather sick group of campers/rafters.
-There are many classes that they offer on how to do research, epidemiology, computer programming. I really liked this part of the program because you gain real skills not just from being thrown in a research project but also have classes to help you know what you are doing along the way.

The interview is Feb 27-28th and the hotel, flight, and all expenses are paid for. I am very excited and will let everyone know how it turns out.

As I mentioned earlier, I am contemplating pediatrics. But beyond what specialty, I am also seriously considering a career in public health research. I am not absolutely sure what that will mean yet, but it probably means 80% of my time is research, and 20% is clinical care. Or it might mean I do a job at the CDC or a public health organization rather than working at a hospital or clinic. Or it may mean that I work for an organization overseas. I am not sure, but spending a year at the CDC would probably help me figure my choices out.

No comments: